Thursday, May 15, 2008

Bloggers Unite For Human Rights

May 15 is the day that Bloggers Unite has designated "Bloggers Unite for Human Rights", and I almost missed it! I've been busy with school and various life events, and almost forgot about it. Thankfully they emailed me a reminder.

When I first heard about this day I had in mind an article I wanted to write, but I don't have time to do it justice today, so it will wait for another day. Instead, I thought I'd talk about Amnesty International.

I first learned about Amnesty International when I was in high school, and my English teacher started up a group in the school. Later, I joined a local group and have been involved off and on for many years. I have had the opportunity to meet many inspirational people as a result of this involvement, including people who have been helped by Amnesty's work. The idea that one person writing a letter (or signing a petition) can make a difference has been proven - because with the help of an organization like Amnesty, one person's efforts are joined by the efforts of many others, and the weight of all those letters can and does get the attention of those we write to. If you would like to write a letter, or to see some recent calls for action, click here. If you need help with letter writing, here are some letter writing tips. They also just released a press release about the worsening situation in Zimbabwe.

In some countries, I could be thrown in jail for writing this blog. I write it for those who don't have that luxury. And I thank Amnesty International for inspiring me to educate myself about events happening around the world as well as in my own backyard, and for giving me the belief that yes, one person CAN make a difference.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi there. I've noticed that i missed this day completely. i too have been caught up with school and work, etc. i've just come home from work and i see it's now no longer the 15th, but it was i could do from seeing your site, and i think it's reassuring to know that there are others who pay mind to the human survival through respecting the basic human dignity alotted to our species from day imemmorium. anyway, keep doing what you are, and i'll make sure to visit,, and i just think that maybe the palestinian question should not be neglected either, as they are victim of a most atrocious ethnic segregation and abuse the world had seen since south africa. thanks for just being you. :) we will make a difference!

Anonymous said...

oh dear, i just noticed gaza. i feel foolish. i'm off to bed.

Art4TheHOmeless said...

Hi.

I like your blog and how you are talking about human rights. I have an offer for ya. My name is Johnna and I run the art4thehomeless blog--a blog where I feature my art and help promote homeless awareness in America. I am creating an ezine that will feature 2 artists, 4 ads--FREE Advertising-- and a Homeless Shelter of the Month thing that will go out to quite a few of my friends and readers. What I am offering you is that if you help me promote, I will promote your blog in the zine. Sound cool? Just check out my site at http://art4thehomeless.nutang.com

If you choose to be featured artist or an ad, you will automatically be subscribed to the zine.

Peace

Johnna