Saturday, November 11, 2006

Do You Remember?

Today is November 11, Remembrance Day. This morning I joined a crowd down at the Cenotaph for the yearly ceremony. While I really didn’t want to get out of bed this morning, it wasn’t an option. I knew I had to be there to show my respect for our veterans, the fallen and also the soldiers who are currently serving. Watching the parade downtown brought tears to my eyes as it does every year. Appropriately, the weather was somber and wet. What would Remembrance Day be without rain? The news today reported that it even rained in Afghanistan during their ceremony.

I hate Remembrance Day. But I think I hate it for the right reasons. I hate knowing what our veterans have been through. I hate that so many young people have died fighting in wars. I hate knowing that before the year is out, more will be dead. I hate knowing that there is always a war going on somewhere. I hate knowing that there are people in the world who will make war or spread terror for their own gain. And every Remembrance Day I am asked to remember all these things. It’s very effective, that way.

Please understand - I am not anti-military. I have a great deal of respect for soldiers, particularly those who have served overseas and risked their lives for us. It is just that I wish they were unemployed. I wish there were no war zones, no dictators, no terrorists, no need to fight for a freedom we all should be guaranteed from birth. It is because I remember that I am a peace activist. I am working towards the day when humanity will learn to resolve our differences without resorting to war and violence.

I remember.



No comments: